New Tools and New Responsibilities for 21st Century Leaders
How can you get more information about the future in a more timely fashion without hiring a special staff to do it? This presentation answers that question with Joel Barker’s “Strategic Exploration tools” which use staff already in place to find the future faster.
The basic thesis of this presentation is that with just a couple of changes in information gathering structure, you can engage your team in simple systems that will increase the amount of useful information gathered significantly at almost no added cost.
This presentation overviews the idea of Strategic Exploration, illustrates four key techniques and then teaches two of them.
- Understanding the difference between strategic exploration and strategic planning
- An understanding of the Implications Wheel® and the Strategy Matrix® as key exploration tools and how they work
- A framework for thinking about the future: the “Possibilities Cone” for conceptualizing how new ideas are brought to reality
- A process: Trend Interrogation for examining the importance of emerging trends
- A process: TIPS™ Teams for collecting information about trends and innovations from the environment cheaply
This presentation/workshop can be used with large groups and small groups. The TIPS™ Team exercise max’s out at 100 participants but the Trend Interrogation exercise can be done with very large groups.
One hour to four hours.